Breast augmentation is one of the most frequently performed plastic surgery procedures today.
There may be several reasons why women want to undergo a breast augmentation:
- You may feel unhappy with the size of your breast
- You wish to fill out sagging breasts, for example after pregnancy or after major weight loss
- Asymmetry (different sized breasts or tuberous breasts)
- Breast reconstruction that recreates the breasts after previous breast surgery for a breast tumor
No matter who you turn to, it is important that you ask the right questions at your consultation to make sure you get the right surgeon. Here are five important questions to ask.
- Is the surgeon a member of IAPS? IAPS stands for the Irish Association of Plastic Surgeons. It has existed for many years and demands the highest standards of their members. You can read more at their website www.iaps.ie.
- Is the surgeon on the Specialist Register of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintained by the Irish Medical Council (www.medicalcouncil.ie).
- Are the implants FDA-approved? FDA is one of the world's toughest regulatory frameworks for regulating and monitoring medicines, vaccines, devices etc.. FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is one of America's federal executive departments and is responsible to protect and promote public health. You can read more about this on their website http://www.fda.org.
- What will the implants look like after surgery? Ask how will they go about deciding which implant would suit you. If it is estimated only from volume it is very difficult to determine what the final result will be. It is important that in addition to the volume, the implant has the correct width, height and projection for your body
- How is the aftercare? For optimum safety surgery at the Aesthetic Institute is only performed in large accredited Irish hospitals such as the Blackrock Clinic or Mount Carmel. When the surgery has ended and you wake from anaesthesia you will be transferred to the recovery room. There will always be a nurse with you to make sure you are well and recover in a safe and pain free manner.
See our contact details here to ask more questions or to book a consultation